CD Projekt is working on a first expansion of Cyberpunk 2077, Chief Executive Adam Kicinski said after the Polish video game maker posted a first-half loss in net income.
Cyberpunk 2077, featuring Hollywood star Keanu Reeves, was one of the most anticipated games of the past year, but after a buggy start, it was kept out of Sony’s PlayStation Store for six months, only coming back in June.
CD Projekt did not update how many Cyberpunk units it sold in the first half of 2021, but company officials said in a conference call that the game was the main source of revenue for the period.
Along with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Cyberpunk increased CD Projekt’s revenue by 29% in the first half of the year to PLN 470.6 million (about INR 900 crores).
CD Projekt said its net profit was PLN 105 million (about INR 200 crores), which was 28% lower compared to last year, but above the PLN 71 million (about INR 140 crores) expected by analysts.
The planned Cyberpunk expansion would involve a player charge similar to those released for The Witcher, board member Michal Nowakowski said during Wednesday’s conference call.
“When we talk about expansions, we talk about bigger things,” he said, though he declined to give a specific deadline for its release.
CD Projekt has been working to fix the game since its release and has released 10 patches and fixes. Its selling costs increased to PLN 131.2 million (about INR 250 million) from PLN 72.1 million (about INR 140 million) a year earlier.
The video game maker plans to release next-generation versions of Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 later this year.
“Considering the relatively small number of Next Gen versions of existing high-quality games available on the market, we think the CP77 could potentially become one of the best-selling titles,” JP Morgan analysts wrote in a note.
© Thomson Reuters 2021