The mayor of the South Texas town of Hollywood Park has died after apparently being attacked by a 500-pound donkey on his ranch, according to The Associated Press.
The body of Mayor William “Bill” Bohlke, 65, was found Monday night during a search by Atascosa County Sheriff’s deputies and relatives, according to the sheriff’s office.
Chief Deputy David Soward told the AP on Wednesday that Bohlke apparently was attacked on Monday morning by an aggressive male donkey on his ranch.
A written statement from the family, published on the Hollywood Park town website, said Bohlke suffered “a fatal injury while taking care of his prized cow herd near Pleasanton.”
“Bill, your mayor, dearly loved serving you, our community, and we only wish he was here to continue doing so,” the family’s statement said.
Hollywood Park is a town of about 3,300 people north of San Antonio. Mayor Pro Tem Steve Phillips will step in as acting mayor, according to the AP.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Isaac’s storms surge floods parts of Louisiana, Mississippi
- From darkness to gold: Blinded Navy swimmer set to race at Paralympics
- Student subsidies of classmates’ tuition add to anger over rising college costs
- Video: Sinkhole stops traffic in San Francisco
- Texas tanning salon owner accused of trying to spy on teenage girls
- Veterans rely on patchwork safety net during hard financial times