Russia warns of destroying US missile shield
May 12th, 2012 – 3:19 am ICT by IANS Tweet
Moscow, May 12 (IANS) Russia is ready to destroy US missile defence facilities in Europe if Moscow considers them as real threats, Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov has said.
“(The deployment) raises our certain concerns, therefore we will destroy the missile defence,” Xinhua quoted Serdyukov as telling reporters Friday.
He said that the Russian forces would not need any additional means to fulfill that task as the existing Iskander missiles are capable to neutralise the US launching facilities.
Meanwhile, Serdyukov said Moscow is still waiting for US proposals on the disputed missile defence system in Europe.
Moscow has long opposed the deployment of US missile defence facilities near its borders and called for legally binding guarantees from the US and NATO that the missile shield is not targeting Russia.
Earlier, acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday that the US research into hypersonic weapons, which Washington aims to complete by 2015, represents an especially serious threat to Russia.
“This breakthrough decision by the US opens up for them the prospect of a transition from a demonstrator prototype to creation of a multirole hypersonic missile by 2015-2018,” Rogozin said.
<!– –> Tweet Related Stories
- US hypersonic weapons threat to Russia: Minister – May 11, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit – May 16, 2011
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister – Sep 04, 2011
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad – Nov 29, 2011
- Russia tests interceptor missile – Dec 21, 2011
- Russia to build anti-NATO missile shield – Feb 05, 2012
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense – Oct 27, 2011
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US – Oct 06, 2011
- Euro-missile defense could intercept Russian ICBMs – May 03, 2012
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants – Feb 04, 2012
- Related Stories
Tags: anatoly serdyukov, borders, breakthrough, defence minister, deployment, deputy prime minister, dmitry rogozin, guarantees, iskander missiles, missile defence system, missile shield, moscow, nato, proposals, prototype, russia, russian forces, transition, weapons, xinhuaR Soft Web Hosting